Hоw Tо Lеаrn Unrеаl Еngine
It is unlikely that the creators of the Unreal game engine themselves could have imagined how popular their “brainchild” would become. But since 1998, this platform has firmly taken its place among all the main tools of the gaming industry. Initially, it was used to produce FPS games, but over time, new versions of the engine made it possible to expand the choice of gameplay and playing style — now it successfully programs game processes for stealth games and even MMORPG.
Here are a few examples: the most successful games in the entire gaming industry — Arkham Asylum, Bioshock Infinite, Mortal Combat X — all these games are Unreal Engine based!
Those who want to learn the profession of a game developer or simply seek to create a new game for themselves are often interested is Unreal engine 4 hard to learn? This question is far from idle: among the free distributions of game engines, Unreal is one of the most diverse and convenient, and learning to code by making games on the Unreal engine the developer can consider one of the most convenient features.
Let’s Talk A Bit About The Coding Language
For beginners in Unreal, there are two ways to learn the Unreal engine. The fact is that here you need to specify your preferences because the study of the engine in full includes two subjects at once:
- Directly learning C ++ programming – the language on which the Unreal engine is based.
- Learning the basics of game design – that is, the main components of any game and their implementation directly in the Unreal engine.
The first item is more fundamental, it will allow you continue to code successfully and create projects in the Unreal environment, or switch to any other C ++ game engine or program independent projects in this language in other areas outside the gaming industry. The second is useful directly for developing games on Unreal, which is also very useful.
If we consider the real options, then there are two ways to learn how to work with the Unreal environment:
- Learn to simultaneously code in C ++ and use the capabilities of the Unreal engine.
- Use the built-in capabilities of the Blueprint engine.
The first is suitable for those who persistently seek to thoroughly study programming in order to become a professional developer. But it takes a lot of time and effort, and quickly start creating your super project on Unreal in this way does not work. Though in the future, after studying all the nuances, you have a chance to establish yourself as a truly knowledgeable pro, and the chance to create something truly unique will be higher.
The second option is chosen today by many developers – using the capabilities of Blueprint as a whole makes it possible to implement many projects without learning C ++. Not surprisingly, many Unreal tutorials are written with the intention of studying Blueprints.
Which option to choose depends only on your desire. Also, pay attention to the possibilities of studying Unreal – and they are quite diverse.
Hоw Tо Lеаrn Unrеаl оn Prаcticе
In the modern world, many processes are fully capable of being transferred to the virtual space. And training – among the first moved to online. Especially, if it is training in computer technologies, programming and software development. And here there is a variety of possibilities to learn Unreal.
- Studying with the help of online courses from various educational institutions. This option is preferable for those who want to get certified confirmation of their skills. Unreal courses are conducted in different interpretations (webinars, Skype consultations, online practical exercises) in different countries. There is a possibility that in this way you can best learn the material and get acquainted with all the intricacies of the engine by Unreal Engine material instance dynamic learning. The disadvantage of such training is that it is paid. Despite the free Unreal format, many training cеntrеs quite legally earn money from training.
- Studying process using a variety of tutorials online. Here, too, has its own features: options for presenting the material, type of lectures, orientation to specific styles of games. And the identity of the creator of the tutorial also plays a role because you will hear his voice, see him on the video and percept his speech style! For example, you can choose for yourself lectures in studying Unreal Engine 4 features demonstration of learning on Yоutubе if visualization works better for you. Or, you can choose for yourself the text format of lectures – if this is how you better perceive the information and memorize it. Unlike courses, here you do not have to perform the required tasks – everything remains on your conscience: do you want to practice or not? In any case, the Unreal: Unreal engine 4 features demonstration of learning and helps its users to help you in carrying out practical actions.
- Study on your own: acquire the latest Unreal distribution and install it on your computer is also a very real way to learn Unreal in practice. What will help you in this case? Of course, numerous online developer communities! Typically, in such forums or venues, newcomers are treated favorably, answer all questions and prompt the most ingenious solutions assigned tasks. In addition, reading individual threads of such forums can in itself become a good tutorial for learning, so you should not neglect them, even if you study on certified courses or master Unreal using video tutorials on Yоutubе.
What can we say about how hard it is to learn Unreal Engine? If you are focused on the result, this engine does not seem too complicated. Of course, your knowledge of C ++ will be a great asset and help, but even without it you can master the engine with Blueprints. In addition, you yourself can choose the Unreal learning format – online lessons with a teacher in courses, self-comprehension using video and text tutorials, or learning the basics of the practice with the guidance of experienced developers in Unreal communities. However, choosing only one training option is at least silly. But the use of all possible means for you to learn will give the best result – so we can call that method the best way to learn Unreal Engine. So, dare and master the Unreal engine – after all, perhaps it is your game that will blow up the gaming market in the future and become a cult one.